MIL-PRF-81309H Type I (airframe with mildew inhibitor)
M81309-C1 / Type I, class 1 M81309-C1 / Type I, class 2
Preventing corrosion of metals in aircraft, vehicles and structures is a critical priority for the military, especially in the harsh naval aviation environment where humidity, salt, and heat can reduce metal parts to piles of rust and corrosion. Corrosion is difficult to detect and correct, and therefore prevention is usually the most cost-effective treatment. Applying corrosion preventive compounds (CPCs) into the internal spaces of airframes is effective in combating metal degradation. However, due to limited performance, traditional CPCs require repeated applications during regular maintenance intervals. NavGuard I provides high-performance, long-lasting, corrosion protection, without requiring repeated applications. This technology is also available without the mildew inhibitor additive (NavGuard II).
NavGuard I was developed to fulfill the need of the Navy for a longer lasting corrosion prevention compound on Navy aircraft metal surfaces, while at the same time inhibiting the growth of mildew inside airframes. The effectiveness of the mildew inhibitor additives in Navguard I was evaluated at the Naval Research Laboratory at Stennis Space Center and showed good results. In addition to preventing mold growth, the CPC film was found to last longer than currently used CPC systems, which would translate to fewer CPC treatments on aircraft, reducing down time and maintenance costs, and extending the life cycle of aircraft. Navguard I was developed in accordance with MIL-PRF-81309 (Corrosion Preventive Compounds, Water Displacing, Ultra-Thin Film) and exceeds those specification requirements. For example, Navguard lasted three times longer than the 14-day neutral salt fog (ASTM B 117) requirements for aluminum panels. In side-by-side tests with other CPC products, NavGuard products outperformed commercially available competitors by a factor of three on aluminum and steel. This formulation is expected to perform equally well on other corrosion-sensitive surfaces. It has been tested successfully on aluminum, magnesium, and ferrous alloy surfaces.
- Synergistic technology is designed to prevent the growth of fungi, molds and mildews in the coating both in the wet state and in the dried film
- Unaffected by thermal expansion and mechanical movement – won’t crack, sag, fatigue or peel
- Low build treatment won’t attract dust and dirt, won’t add significant weight to small aircraft, and doesn’t interfere with the ability to inspect internal surfaces
- Low viscosity formulation protects aircraft and automotive frames in harsh environments where humidity, salt and heat conspire to reduce metal parts to piles of oxides
- Unsurpassed high performance multi-metal protection – Combats degradation of ferrous metal, aluminum, magnesium and their alloys
- Long-lasting barrier protection with CP20™ reduces downtime, labor costs, and money
- Eliminates anodic and cathodic corrosion and shields against the slow diffusion of corrosive agents
- Low VOC formula contains no silicone, wax, or concerning heavy metals
- Commercial and private rolling, floating and flying stock
- Protecting manufactured metal products during transport and storage
- Maintain and protect industrial machinery such as lathes, mill machines, CNC equipment, etc.
- Military aircraft Naval ships