MIL-PRF-81309H Type IV (advanced grade)
M81309-D1 / Type IV, class 1
M81309-D2 / Type II, class 2
NSN 8030-01-680-2305 (16 oz aerosol)
NSN 8030-01-680-2313 (1 quart)
NSN 8030-01-680-2310 (1 gallon)
NSN 8030-01-680-2312 (5 gallon)
NSN 8030-01-680-2311 (55 gallon)
Preventing corrosion of metals in aircraft, vehicles and structures is a critical priority for the military, especially in the harsh naval aviation environment where humidity, salt, and heat can reduce metal parts to piles of rust and corrosion. Corrosion is difficult to detect and correct, and therefore prevention is usually the most cost-effective treatment. Applying corrosion preventive compounds (aka ‘CPC’ in military parlance) into the internal spaces of airframes is effective in combating metal degradation. However, due to limited performance, traditional CPCs require repeated applications during regular maintenance intervals. NavGuard provides high-performance, long-lasting, corrosion protection, without requiring repeated applications. This technology is also available with a mildew inhibitor additive (NavGuard I).
NavGuard was developed to fulfill the need of the U.S. Navy for a longer lasting and more robust CPC suitable for extended operations in extreme marine environments and for protecting corrosion prone components. The new polymeric CPC film technology developed for NavGuard was found to last longer than currently used military grade CPC systems, which translates into fewer CPC treatments on aircraft, thereby reducing downtime and maintenance costs and extending the lifecycle of aircraft.
NavGuard was developed in accordance with MIL-PRF-81309 (Corrosion Preventive Compounds, Water Displacing, Ultra-Thin Film) and far exceeds those specification requirements. For example, NavGuard lasted three times longer than the 14-day neutral salt fog (ASTM B 117) requirement for aluminum panels. In side-by-side tests with other CPC products, NavGuard outperformed commercially available competitors by a factor of three or more on aluminum and steel, and is expected to excel equally on magnesium, ferrous alloys and other corrosion-sensitive surfaces.
- Unaffected by thermal expansion and mechanical movement – won’t crack, sag, fatigue or peel
- Low build treatment won’t attract dust and dirt, won’t add significant weight to small aircraft, and doesn’t interfere with the ability to inspect internal surfaces
- Low viscosity formulation protects aircraft and automotive frames in harsh environments where humidity, salt and heat conspire to reduce metal parts to piles of oxides
- Unsurpassed high performance multi-metal protection – Combats degradation of ferrous metal, aluminum, magnesium and their alloys
- Eliminates anodic and cathodic corrosion and shields against the slow diffusion of corrosive agents
- Low VOC formula contains no silicone, wax, or concerning heavy metals
- Commercial and private rolling, floating and flying stock
- Protecting manufactured metal products during transport and storage
- Maintain and protect industrial machinery such as lathes, mill machines, CNC equipment, etc.
- Military aircraft and Naval ships
| Tech Sheet |